Sunday, 28 July 2013

Dreams of Southern France: Château L’Ermitage Syrah + Mourvedre

I have such a "thing" for French wine.  2010 Château L’Ermitage is no exception.  For less than $15, this Southern Rhône Syrah and Mourvedre blend is smoooooth and sophistiqué.  This wine is from Saint-Gilles, which is just a hop, skip, and a jump from where I studied during université, in Montpellier.  I adore the south of France!

Full-bodied, with dark, tart fruits, a bit of dark chocolate, and hints of violet; there was a bit of pepper and roses on the nose.  Drink it with anything simple ... I enjoyed it with grilled veggies.   It's difficult to describe how this wine manages to be big-bodied, yet subdued in a beautiful old-world style.  For lovers of heavier reds like me, this Rhône blend works equally-well with grilled summer foods or winters by the fire.  Á votre santé!
(Written 7.21.13)

No comments:

Post a Comment