Memorial Day means a day off from work, which refreshes me and gets me thinking of my wonderful grandfathers, both whom were veterans.

This is only somewhat related, because neither of them was very much of a wine connoisseur. The reason for the gorgeous relevance is that a day off means I can reflect and blog. Thanks Popsies!
Since Memorial Day and barbecuing go hand-in-hand, today I chose to highlight a grill-friendly, local red. I might have chosen a Malbec, had it not been the overwhemling obligation to choose something made in the US of A. I went a step further and chose something local... Brookmere Winery is located just down the road in Belleville, PA, and creates several tasty wines made from 100% Pennsylvania-grown grapes. Some of you wine snobs may scoff at the notion of decent 100% PA wines, but I take pride in the local wine scene. The key is choosing varietals that flourish in this area: Rieslings, Seyval, Chambourcin, sometimes Cab Franc, sweet wines (though I rarely go for "sweeties"), and port!

To my dismay, Brookmere sold out of all Chambourcin weeks ago...not good news. My backup plan quickly became Alexander's Red: a lovely blend of Chambourcin and Cab Franc. Alexander Red is dry-ish, medium-light bodied, and aged in oak; it may not be a big and bold CA bomb, though it has its place...and one if those is Memorial Day at the Merry's.
Thank you, Popsies, for your service to this country and my freedom that I might enjoy this day, this time, and this wine. Cheers.

This is only somewhat related, because neither of them was very much of a wine connoisseur. The reason for the gorgeous relevance is that a day off means I can reflect and blog. Thanks Popsies!
Since Memorial Day and barbecuing go hand-in-hand, today I chose to highlight a grill-friendly, local red. I might have chosen a Malbec, had it not been the overwhemling obligation to choose something made in the US of A. I went a step further and chose something local... Brookmere Winery is located just down the road in Belleville, PA, and creates several tasty wines made from 100% Pennsylvania-grown grapes. Some of you wine snobs may scoff at the notion of decent 100% PA wines, but I take pride in the local wine scene. The key is choosing varietals that flourish in this area: Rieslings, Seyval, Chambourcin, sometimes Cab Franc, sweet wines (though I rarely go for "sweeties"), and port!

To my dismay, Brookmere sold out of all Chambourcin weeks ago...not good news. My backup plan quickly became Alexander's Red: a lovely blend of Chambourcin and Cab Franc. Alexander Red is dry-ish, medium-light bodied, and aged in oak; it may not be a big and bold CA bomb, though it has its place...and one if those is Memorial Day at the Merry's.
Thank you, Popsies, for your service to this country and my freedom that I might enjoy this day, this time, and this wine. Cheers.


No comments:
Post a Comment