Monday, 20 December 2010


Thanksgiving was a whirlwind of loveliness...

I was surrounded by ones I adore, and initiated numerous cooking challenges!

We had a small Thanksgiving dinner, then welcomed a larger group for dessert. I took advantage of every opportunity to indulge in high caliber wines that I had been acquiring through the months and years. We decided to open a bottle of "Champagne". In quotes because it was actually a "Sparkling Wine" called Rainsong, from Oregon. (Those who know this wine and quaint, family-owned vineyard will heartily approve!) It is made by blending Pinot Noir, Pinot Meunier, and Chardonnay, followed by primary and secondary fermentations, aligned with th Methodé Champenoise (traditional method for making Champagne). It's a proven fact that it tastes even better when you use fancy-dancy crystal stemware, right mom?! (Gotta break out the Lenox once-in-a-while! Just don't BREAK it!) I have just recently found out that this small, precious winery has a program where you and your wino friends can buy a barrel of wine (makes ~25 cases), go over to the vineyard, bottle it, label it, then..bottoms up! Next time I visit Oregon I am renting a truck and driving across the country, so I can participate! :)

In addition, we cracked a bottle we carried back from New Zealand in June 2010. Wild Rock Pinot Noir originates in New Zealand's Central Otago Valley, the southern-most wine-making region in the world. As we traveled through the region, we tasted some of the finest new world Pinot Noirs on the planet. I love this wine, full of bright cherries and cranberries (no wonder it was so good with turkey dinner!!), herbs - especially thyme, and token pinot noir earthiness! Unfortunately for me, it has been impossible to find Wild Rock pinot within this State's borders (and neighboring ones, too!) since we opened the bottle; and believe me, I've searched! (For more on NZ Pinot Noir, check this out.)

We also opened a bottle of Buried Cane 2006 Chardonnay, from Washington State. Did you know that chardonnay is the most widely planted varietal in Washington? The best part of this wine is that it tastes like ripe Washington apples and mild butterinss and baking spices from the oak. I have actually re-purchased Buried Cane Chard since Thanksgiving, and paired with our celebratory "MBA-semester-#1-is-officially-over!" dinner on Monday night, consisting of pan-seared scallops and wild mushroom risotto (and it was GOOOOD)! Horray for having time to cook!

Try these out, or browse the wine shop and buy something totally random to try...like I did this past week! I actually ended up buying a bottle of Pinotage that I haven't tried before...but also selected especially so I could introduce you to that varietal if you haven't tried it! More to come.

Cheers!

Pics:
Top- Eager, virginal champagne crystal...on the verge of christening!
Bottom- A few of those I love who tolerate/embrace my wine passion...as long as I keep their glasses full. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment