Stout...or Porter...or whatever you call it. According to countless sources, “There is no distinction! Maybe there was one day, but now the two terms are practically interchangeable.”
So fine, I don't care what you call it. I like it!
Yes, yes...now and then I feel the urge to blog on beer. I love stouts...especially in wintertime. Here are three 2010 highlights...
First, let's talk about Ryan's: 6 String Brew Works 2010 Homebrew Stout (-of-my-dreams). Yes, I added the "of-my-dreams" part, because it's true! It's gorgeous...not too sweet, not too bitter. Just chocolately enough, not overly coffee-ish or sweet. Perfect dessert-in-a-glass; or makes for a pleasurable sipping experience any time you want something a little heartier and special! This stout could easily compete with any high-end mainstream imperial stout.
Second, I was fortunate to savor a glass of Flying Dog's Wild Dog Barrel-Aged Gonzo (Porter) a few weeks ago at a local pub in Media, PA. It made quite an impression. Big-bodied, very dark beauty with licorice, spice, and everything nice! Whiskey and figs- oak characteristics like vanilla and caramel. It was a fabulous treat for a celebratory evening.
Third, Philadelphia Brewing Company's Shackamaximum...what a stout! We had it bottled from our local Wegmans. We were so excited to come across it, as we had tried it last year draft at a special limited tasting at Khyber bar in Philly. Dark, delicious, licorice, Hershey's Chocolate syrup. Maltiness and bitterness- perfectly combined. Too sweet for me to drink with dinner- but made GREAT dessert! Aside: Shackamaximum is named after Shackamaxon village, which was the Native American village that was once located where the Philly Brewing Co. now resides, in Philadelphia's Kensington neighborhood.
Cheers, brew fans, and Happy Christmas!
xo
Pics:
1)Ryan's: 6 String Brew Works 2010 Homebrew Stout (-of-my-dreams)
2)Sipping Wild Dog Barrel-Aged Gonzo :)

No comments:
Post a Comment