
It's official...I survived the first semester. I can't think of a better reason to celebrate!Things I did in the past 72 hours since turning in my last final (that I missed soooo much!):
-Picked up a book and read for pure enjoyment (The Story of My Life, Giacomo Casanova)
-Goal during break: finish the book
-Picked up my guitar and tried to remember my chords
-Goal during break: learn 1-2 (easy) Christmas songs for my own personal sing-along!
-Researched local non-profits
-Goal during break: Volunteer at a non-profit org I haven't worked with before
-Most importantly: started reaching out to friends and family that I've horrendously ignored for the past 4 months
Goal during break: Ensure that all appropriate persons know how much I love and miss them! Prepare them to be neglected once again in January.
-AND ALSO quite important...wrote a blog! I've been DYING to blog ever since Thanksgiving! I've tried some great wines, and it's high time I told you about it!
Goal during break: At least 2 blogs per week for the next 3 weeks!
Perhaps too ambitious, but you know me...
OK, so QUIT BLABBING and blog, already!
Where to start...how about a with a nice Meritage! I first discovered Murrieta's Well 2007 Meritage around this time last year. By April, I could no longer find it at PA Wine and Spirits stores, but to my surprise and delight, it resurfaced in October, and I promptly stocked up.
The name "Meritage" is given to those wines styled after traditional Bordeaux reds and whites, but grown outside that region.
The word "Meritage" was established for these wines in the late '80s, and is a combination of the words "merit" and "heritage". The "need" for the name came about as a way to differentiate this style's quality and craftmanship, versus other blends that have not been made under the specific stipulations of a Meritage. To clarify, red Bordeaux is a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot grapes, with smaller amounts of Cabernet Franc, Petit Verdot, and Malbec. Similarly, a red Meritage must be made from at least two of these grapes (or the lesser known varietals St. Macaire, Gros Verdot, and Carmenère), with no varietal comprising more than 90% of the blend.
Murrieta's Well is elegant, exhibiting characteristics of the Bordeaux style: old-world subtleness, dark berries and plums, and oak-induced attributes like toasted graham crackers, chocolae, and licorice. It is smooooth and gorgeous. I'm not sure how when it will reach its prime, but I have a bottle on my shelf waiting for that day. I am having the hardest time walking past it without wanting to open it up! As an aside: The story/name of the winery is pretty kool too, and goes back to Gold Rush days. Joaquin Murrieta was a "Robin Hood" type (stole from the rich, gave to the poor). The wine estate was actually his home, centuries ago!
Anyway, with my love for the charming old-world French styles, I'm sure you're rolling your eyes over my obvious partiality towards all things Meritage!
Sante! It's good to be back blogging for a few weeks!
Pics:
1) Murrieta's Well 2007 Meritage
2) The actual well at Murrieta's Estate

No comments:
Post a Comment