Wednesday, 16 June 2010

What About New Zealand?!



I guess you can tell I can't get enough Australian wine (or wasn't I obvious enough?)...but what about New Zealand?! I'm not about to get in the middle of this ongoing Australia vs. New Zealand battle over who's the best. Luckily, when comparing wines, they are so different, everyone can be the best!

New Zealand is widely known for their superb Sauvignon Blancs, coming from regions like Marlborough and Hawkes Bay (towards the north). We, on the other hand, spent most of our New Zealand time in the south, conveniently driving right through Central Otago Valley. Unlike the north, the terrain in Central Otago is more suitable for growing Pinot Noir (Lucky me! One of my favorites!).

We stopped at the adorable, quaint Waitiri Creek Winery, pictured above. Surrounded by snowy mountains in the sunny valley. Their cellar is actually an old Presbyterian Church (no wonder that I chose Waitiri as my favorite in the Otago Valley)! Their small size allows them to focus completely on quality. I chatted with the wine maker for an hour or so, while tasting their wines.

No doubt their Pinot Noir was lovely...reminding me of tasting Oregon and Washington Pinot Noirs...New World all-the-way. More fruit and body than an Old World-style French Burgundy (aka Pinot Noir). Intense cherry and dark fruit. Earth (It's common with Pinot Noir to smell earthiness or even "barn-ness!"...LOVE IT!). Also, definite oak aspects...like hints of baking spices like vanilla, etc. Cheers!

Their Sauvignon Blanc was also quite nice, though very different (lighter) than the styles found up north. Honestly, I preferred their Chardonnay! Ry and I were equally impressed by the elegant balance. The aroma was intense...like a big creamy New World style....but when you taste it...it's just perfect! Not too "over-the-top" big! We definitely brought some home.

I told you before, and I'll tell you again (see blog on Sweet Cheeks)...Pinot Noirs rock!....when done well. They are delicate and require attention. A good one usually isn't too cheap. When you come across ones like we did in Central Otago, where it was so evident that the wine makers care deeply about their art, you can't help but be inspired.

No comments:

Post a Comment