Saturday, 6 April 2013

Half Price Bottle Night at Mario's: For the Love of Italian... Brunello and Dolcetto

A few weeks back, some friends, old and new, met for an amazing wine night (thanks for the invite, ST!). Half prices bottles of wine up to $100 at Mario's in State College, PA. With hundreds of bottles in stock, I soon realized it was an overwhelming adventure. A few of the most memorable selections of the evening were the 2007 Martoccia Brunello and the 2008 San Fereolo Dolcetto.

The 2007 Martoccia Brunello was a bright garnet color. It was medium-bodied, with a bit more acidity than I prefer, but good texture. Tobacco, currants and leathery favors...little pepper.

OK, so I officially adore Dolcetto! The 2008 San Fereolo Dolcetto was also medium-bodied, with red fruits and smoooooth. It was elegant, fresh, and a little anise. Mmm.

Both were even better with a little food, as is usual with Italian wines. I anticipate many more half-price bottle nights at Mario's.  Cheers!



No comments:

Post a Comment