Back in January, I set a goal to study Italian wines throughout 2013. The other night, I took the opportunity to try an Italian blend of three red grapes: Monica (40%), Cannonau (30%), and Carignano (30%). Isola Del Sole is from Sardinia, the island in the Mediterranean and Tyhrrhenian seas, off the coast of Italy. From the winery Cantina Argiolas, this wine is cheery, medium-bodied, red-fruited, and simple. The 2010 vintage was fresh, yet mellow ... with bright strawberries and a bit-of-spice.
I took a risk with the food pairing ...
Dinner was fresh, wild caught salmon with capers, in a lemon butter sauce. It actually worked quite nicely! The capers played well with the characteristics of the wine. I am certainly not afraid to pair a light- or medium-bodied red with a heartier fish, like salmon; you shouldn't be either.
Happy dining, happy wining!
I took a risk with the food pairing ...
Dinner was fresh, wild caught salmon with capers, in a lemon butter sauce. It actually worked quite nicely! The capers played well with the characteristics of the wine. I am certainly not afraid to pair a light- or medium-bodied red with a heartier fish, like salmon; you shouldn't be either.
Happy dining, happy wining!
 

No comments:
Post a Comment