Monday, 18 October 2010

10 days in France...a Plethora of "Vin"spiration!

10 days in France...a plethora of "vin"spiration! (hehe...OK, so maybe it's cheesy! BUT CHEESE IS A FOOD GROUP IN FRANCE! (and I am a willing participant!!! smellier=better! Obviously, I digress! But seriously, I am the one who keeps a cheese and wine spreadsheet. Let's not go there today, ok? Maybe some other time. I'm SOOO smiling...)

A new region to explore; the most condensed area of chateaus on all the world; ancient, glorious vines, spread across the rolling hills of the Loire...let's just say: life is good. Learning about the Loire has been amazing. This region, broken into 4 sub-regions, is known for its Sauvignon Blanc, Muscadets, an Cabernet Franc, not to mention delightfully dry, well-crafted rose (Woah, did I just compliment a blush wine? This MUST be good!).

Discussing them all at once would be too overwhelming, so I'm going to break this down into separate posts.

Let's start with Sauvignon Blanc...

We enjoyed several local, young Sauv Blancs at the chateau, most delightfully experienced with our lovely seafood meal on Monday night. My favorite Loire Sauv Blanc experience was actually seaside on L'Ile de Ré in Sainte Martin de Ré. Sipping beverages; relaxing; chatting...at the crêperie! Despite the drizzly weather...Sauv Blanc- light...lively...lovely, crisp and mineral-y - kept my spirits high. I couldn't keep my nose of of the glass! What a pleasure.

Contary to sometimes-over-the-top, fruit-forward, "New World" wines, this Frenchie style doesn't give all it's secrets away upfront. Instead, it releases them slowly, whispering....yet, with indescribable passion! Je suis arrivée. (I have arrived!)

Bonne!

1 comment:

  1. Nice, very nice. Sauv B is a worldclass favorite, second to an extra dry Reisling. XO

    ReplyDelete