Don't ask me what my favorite season is. I much prefer to discuss the elements of each that define that season for me. With autumn on the horizon, we have experienced the first crisp nights, cool mornings,and local apples are beginning to be harvested. I always anticipate my first warm apple cider of the year, mums on the front porch step, and a pumpkin-spiced latte!
I also happen to be a HUGE fan of autumn beers...Oktoberfests, and ESPECIALLY pumpkin ales (Many of you also know that my absolute favorite beer styles tend to be Stouts and Porters, but for today, we are talking about Pumpkin!).
Over the past month, I've tried a few of these delectable ales; all similar at the core, yet so blatantly different, there is no way they are from the same pumpkin patch!
Three are what I would call "Imperial", and two are more basic/mainstream styles. So let's compare!
The Mainstreams:
Sam Adams Pumpkin Ale: Definitely decent for a non-imperial. Smells like pumpkin pie spices. mmmmm, what a treat. Sam Adams products make me smile, because I definitely feel like they care about their product, despite their massiveness as a corporation. In may ways, they behave like a micro-brewery, and that is why I enjoy supporting them, especially in the fall, when they release the pumpkin ale! Thanks, Sammy!
Jacks Pumpkin Spice Ale: Yes, this is a Michelob product, but let's be opened-minded! (In our house, we tend to support the local breweries and craft/micro-breweries, rather than huge conglomerate beer companies.) Coppery/orange-colored (shocking, right?!!); very clear and effervescent; mild baking-spice (nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, sugar) scent and taste; best drunk medium-cold...not super-cold (haha-obviously not technical terms...I am not, afterall, used to reviewing beers!). 5.5% abv. I like that Michelob decided to play in the pumpkin beer market. It's affordable and satisfies the need for autumn spice in my life! :o)
The Imperials:
You guys are going to be disappointed because I fail to really commit to a choice, here, but let's proceed...
Weyerbacher Pumpkin Ale - I'm in heaven! My favorite imperial pumpkin ale. Pumpkin pie spice; deep; cardamom, nutmeg, CARMEL; med-full bodied. I think 8% abv. I think the reason I like it best is because it's more PUMPKIN-Y than spice. Creamy. Sip it. Love it.
Southern Tier Pumking - Hazy burnt orang-y color; lots of spice, some pumpkin, even ginger! Deeee-lish! Wait, do I like this one more than Weyerbacher? It seemed a little more full-bodied (which I tend to prefer). Hmm...must reevaluate ASAP. I think it's a close one, but Weyerbacher is still a step ahead...
Devious Pumpkin Ale (Bethlehem Brew Works/Allentown) - nutmeg, gingerbread, pumpkin. Very much beyond-decent, but my taste buds prefer the Weyerbacher or Pumking!
Ok, I think you can effectively say that I am a pumpkin beer expert!
Let me know if you have any questions or pumpkin beer recommendations! In the meantime, back to wine. We have plenty of weeks left to further explore the beauty and mystery of the pumpkin!
Happy Autumn! :o)
I also happen to be a HUGE fan of autumn beers...Oktoberfests, and ESPECIALLY pumpkin ales (Many of you also know that my absolute favorite beer styles tend to be Stouts and Porters, but for today, we are talking about Pumpkin!).
Over the past month, I've tried a few of these delectable ales; all similar at the core, yet so blatantly different, there is no way they are from the same pumpkin patch!
Three are what I would call "Imperial", and two are more basic/mainstream styles. So let's compare!
The Mainstreams:
Sam Adams Pumpkin Ale: Definitely decent for a non-imperial. Smells like pumpkin pie spices. mmmmm, what a treat. Sam Adams products make me smile, because I definitely feel like they care about their product, despite their massiveness as a corporation. In may ways, they behave like a micro-brewery, and that is why I enjoy supporting them, especially in the fall, when they release the pumpkin ale! Thanks, Sammy!
Jacks Pumpkin Spice Ale: Yes, this is a Michelob product, but let's be opened-minded! (In our house, we tend to support the local breweries and craft/micro-breweries, rather than huge conglomerate beer companies.) Coppery/orange-colored (shocking, right?!!); very clear and effervescent; mild baking-spice (nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, sugar) scent and taste; best drunk medium-cold...not super-cold (haha-obviously not technical terms...I am not, afterall, used to reviewing beers!). 5.5% abv. I like that Michelob decided to play in the pumpkin beer market. It's affordable and satisfies the need for autumn spice in my life! :o)
The Imperials:
You guys are going to be disappointed because I fail to really commit to a choice, here, but let's proceed...
Weyerbacher Pumpkin Ale - I'm in heaven! My favorite imperial pumpkin ale. Pumpkin pie spice; deep; cardamom, nutmeg, CARMEL; med-full bodied. I think 8% abv. I think the reason I like it best is because it's more PUMPKIN-Y than spice. Creamy. Sip it. Love it.
Southern Tier Pumking - Hazy burnt orang-y color; lots of spice, some pumpkin, even ginger! Deeee-lish! Wait, do I like this one more than Weyerbacher? It seemed a little more full-bodied (which I tend to prefer). Hmm...must reevaluate ASAP. I think it's a close one, but Weyerbacher is still a step ahead...
Devious Pumpkin Ale (Bethlehem Brew Works/Allentown) - nutmeg, gingerbread, pumpkin. Very much beyond-decent, but my taste buds prefer the Weyerbacher or Pumking!
Ok, I think you can effectively say that I am a pumpkin beer expert!
Let me know if you have any questions or pumpkin beer recommendations! In the meantime, back to wine. We have plenty of weeks left to further explore the beauty and mystery of the pumpkin!
Happy Autumn! :o)

I am Loving your blog, Tare! I can't wait to see your wine inventory and talk to you about this in person. What a fun 'hobby'.
ReplyDeleteSo when are we going to try our hand at goat's cheese????? :)
xoxo, and keep up the blogging!
Off to find some pumpkin ale, you know I'm out of my comfort zone!