Tuesday, 7 September 2010

A Spanish Beauty













I fell in love with Spanish wine officially around January 2009. Of course I had tried Rioja's before, but there's nothing like submerging yourself in the heart of it all.

A road trip through Spanish terroir changed my life (Thanks, Maria and Km!). Seriously, though, it's an amazing country, with PASSION.

Tapas for dinner late at night, with a nice Rioja...I'm in love. Spain is confusing for the amateur, though (like France and Italy!)....it's hard to read these labels!

If you feel like experimenting with Spanish reds, you may wish to try Bodegas Osborne Señorio del Cid Crianza 2003 from Ribera del Duero, Spain. It's made from 100% (I think) Tempranillo grapes, which can be a bit firey; but this wine from 2003 is tame and addictive! It retails slightly above $20 a bottle, but has recently been going for about 9 bucks at PA Wine and Spirits.

It's dry, with jammy cherries and other berry fruits, some vanilla and spice from the oak. The finish isn't long, but overall, the wine is lovely and very drinkable. Get creative with pairings...most Spanish wines are meant to go with food, so experiment! This med-bodied red will go with Mediterranean foods, tapas, braised or barbequed meats, etc.

Sooo glad I tried it and went back for more! Enjoy (and road trip through Spain, whenever possible!)

1 comment: