Tuesday, 18 June 2013

Meatless Monday: Tofu and Syrah IPA???? Weird, yet Tasty ...


 This week, I decided to participate in Meatless Monday.  I have done this intermittently over the past few years since I lived in Europe.  A combination of moderation in healthly-eating and carbon footprint combine to build a case for us omnivores to take 1 day off from meat per week.  I am passionate about food source, agricultural responsibility and awareness, and all related topics; I would love to chat if you have questions or ideas...

With that, let's move on to tonight's meat-free marvel and ANOTHER beer pairing (sorry winos, I've been tasting interesting beers lately too!)  Sooooo, I have been DYING to try this recipe, and with Ryan out-of-town, it was the perfect time to experiment...

Grilled organic tofu with an olive oil, lemon, fresh herb marinade.  Fresh everything...garlic, basil, thyme, tarragon, rosemary, lemon.  I used Trader Joe's Organic Extra-Firm Tofu, and let it marinade for ~6 hours.  I grilled it for 4 minutes per side, and paired this, my experiment, with a Dogfish Head experiment, all of their own!

Dogfish Head's Sixty-One is like a 60-minute IPA with a splash of Shiraz ... literally.  While it is by no means my favorite Dogfish Head brew (that prize goes to one of their malty wonders like Raison D'Etre or Chickory Stout), it is INTERESTING.  I have to hand it to Dogfish Head ... they brew interesting combinations.  Sixty-One has fruity wine characteristics, and plenty of IPA hoppy-ness; it perplexes and stretches my tastebuds.  Also, as luck would have it, it also happens to pair decently with grilled tofu.

Cheers, sports fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment