Wednesday, 25 May 2011

After a (luscious) stint at Godiva- I've got chocolate on the mind...

MBA residency week: Godiva. How suitable a company to study. (Remember "Tea Time with Tara: Tales from the Midlands"?) I spent some serious time in central England, where Lady Godiva did her famous (naked) ride through Coventry. What an activist she was! And thus, the Draps family capitalized on the whole scenario and created quite a brand.

Anyway, if there is anything about Godiva (or the chocolate industry, in general) that you would like to understand, please reach out!

Since some people enjoy chocolate and wine, I thought it was a fitting time to blog on this distinct pairing. First off, not everyone thinks this combo is a good idea. I, as always with wine (and food!), remain opened to the experience, and willing to explore a multitude of facets. :)

The easiest pairing is a high-alcohol, dessert-y type...like port or madeira (Portugal!!!). I fully support this match, and have tried varying differentiations...like dark vs. milk chocolate, and tawny (Australian, preferably!) vs. traditional port (Fonseca "Bin No. 27" Porto). All-in-all, it works. For specific brands, touch base and I will give you ideas.

Next, I tired a younger (2008) Cabernet from my collection: Vigilance, from Sonoma (~$20), with a Godiva dark truffle. The melty center of the chocolate with the lovely dark cherry influences of the wine were LUSCIOUS (yes! i used this word TWICE in this blog already!!!). Also, this reminds me that I must blog on Vigilance on its own sometime! A sustainable and lovely wine maker deserves its own blog. :)

Finally, something completely different: an oaked Chardonnay, from Copa Estates (<$10 on Chairman's Selection!)..surprising cheap at PLCB shops, but quite tasty! They oak it gracefully, without making it reprehensibly over-the-top. I tried it with the far-from-obvious pairing of Godiva caramel milk chocolate (yes! I was feeling slightly adventurous!). Wow. I think I would get opposing viewpoints on this, but for these taste buds, the caramel qualities from the oakiness in the wine were a gorgeous complement to the caramel chocolate "creation" (as defined by Godiva!).

My conclusion, you ask? Try stuff! And if you need a suggestion, email me! If you have feedback, email me with results or ideas. I love this stuff, if you didn't notice.

Next: catching up on blogs I should have posted a while ago. AND...Michelle wants to make cheese. So, wine and cheese pairings shall ensue. Also, with cheese (and watermelon, and brussel sprouts...though not all together at once!)being my favorite food(s), things are sure to get creative!

No comments:

Post a Comment