Thursday, 5 August 2010

A Cuban Meal, and a Challenging Pairing












We decided on a Cuban place called Yuca in South Beach, FL for dinner. We ordered a round aperitifs...mojitos (At a Cuban place, what else is there??!!!) Delicious, yet almost too presentable. Does that make sense? When I order a mojito, I want a seriously LARGE quantity of mint...like mint leaves clogging my straw, and all! This was not that...yet, it was decent.

As we sipped drinks and watched South Beach go by, we perused the menu and wine list. I had become respected as a wine aficionada (!!!), and soon had the priveledge of making a selection for tonight's meal. YAY! One slight challenge...I was leaning towards seafood menu options, and dining with someone who chose red meats. Compromising cicumstance...yet with a little thought, easily remedied...

I soon had a bottle of expertly-selected PINOT NOIR: 2006 Hitching Post Winery "Cork Dancer", Santa Barbara, CA (Yessssss, you may recall this name from the movie Sideways!). I would say the best way to describe Cork Dancer is lovely. This is why I adore pinot noirs. They are lovely and special, when you find a good one (reference "Sweet Cheeks" blog from April 2010). I immediately respect a nice pinot noir. This varietal is thin-skinned, fussy, and I'm told that you have to let the vine struggle to produce greatness! The 2006 Cork Dancer was medium-bodied...LUSH, ripe fruit (especially cherries!), loooong finish. Sometimes the California pinot noirs can a bit too big and bold...overdone. Not this one. Instead it was reminiscent of a Northwest (OR/WA) pinot, or a traditional style French Bourgogne (Burgundy). Anyway, just the right choice for our table's gamut of food varieties!

I had the Ceviche Salvaje: Fresh grouper, shrimp, calamari, octopus and lobster forged in ginger-lime marinade and laced with scotch bonnet pepper. I LOVE CEVICHE... what a chemical reaction, baby!

Followed by the Red Snapper: A pan seared fillet of snapper with a crazy avocado rice. Topped with a relish of sweet and hot peppers and chilli-garlic sofrito.

Cuban food- mmmmm. 2006 Hitching Post Cork Dancer Pinot Noir- mmmmm. Would recommend either, and welcome a repeat!

Salud!

(Written May 2010)

No comments:

Post a Comment