In a concerted effort to embrace this whole aging process, I decided that spoiling myself was obligatory.
I chose to fore go the customary birthday cake, and even ice cream (gasp!), opting for something even sweeter.
June 20th, 2010 marked the day when I went deep into my "cellar" (I use that term lightly!), and brought out something very special...liquid sugar from 2002. Getting older suddenly seemed a bit easier!
Dolce is, in a word, indulgence. In two words...complete indulgence. (They actually market themselves as having the ability to give hedonistic pleasure...that may be taking it a bit far!!!)Being the fine dessert wine it is, I had to take the opportunity to break out the crystal cordial glasses (if you're going to indulge, do it properly!).
I uncorked the pretty, 375 ml bottle, and poured a taste.
Let me preface the rest of this post with one thing...it's expensive. As you (should) know, I don't drink a lot of super-expensive wines, but again, this isn't just any old day! Oh, and another side comment... as you (may) know, I'm a dry wine kinda gal, BUT, as you also (may) know, I'm not one to pigeon-hole myself in categories like "red OR white", or "dry OR sweet".
Ok, back to it...so immediately I noticed how gorgeously shimmery it was. Intense gold - sparkling away like that was its job! I smell carmel, honey. When I sip, it's heavy! Concentrated, honey!, a bit of a hazel-nuttiness. A little goes a looooong way. So sweet!
Why is it so expensive? Situated in Napa, Dolce is the only American winery dedicated to producing a single late harvest (dessert) wine. They are highly selective with the grapes they use, and would rather make a much smaller quantity of wine, than put out a lesser-quality product. With this as their only focus, they strive for perfection, and damn, they're close. This is precisely what I needed today!
I highly recommend you try a dessert wine. They can be the perfect addition when you're looking for something a little bit special.
Sante!
I chose to fore go the customary birthday cake, and even ice cream (gasp!), opting for something even sweeter.
June 20th, 2010 marked the day when I went deep into my "cellar" (I use that term lightly!), and brought out something very special...liquid sugar from 2002. Getting older suddenly seemed a bit easier!
Dolce is, in a word, indulgence. In two words...complete indulgence. (They actually market themselves as having the ability to give hedonistic pleasure...that may be taking it a bit far!!!)Being the fine dessert wine it is, I had to take the opportunity to break out the crystal cordial glasses (if you're going to indulge, do it properly!).
I uncorked the pretty, 375 ml bottle, and poured a taste.
Let me preface the rest of this post with one thing...it's expensive. As you (should) know, I don't drink a lot of super-expensive wines, but again, this isn't just any old day! Oh, and another side comment... as you (may) know, I'm a dry wine kinda gal, BUT, as you also (may) know, I'm not one to pigeon-hole myself in categories like "red OR white", or "dry OR sweet".
Ok, back to it...so immediately I noticed how gorgeously shimmery it was. Intense gold - sparkling away like that was its job! I smell carmel, honey. When I sip, it's heavy! Concentrated, honey!, a bit of a hazel-nuttiness. A little goes a looooong way. So sweet!
Why is it so expensive? Situated in Napa, Dolce is the only American winery dedicated to producing a single late harvest (dessert) wine. They are highly selective with the grapes they use, and would rather make a much smaller quantity of wine, than put out a lesser-quality product. With this as their only focus, they strive for perfection, and damn, they're close. This is precisely what I needed today!
I highly recommend you try a dessert wine. They can be the perfect addition when you're looking for something a little bit special.
Sante!

This sweet delight is tasted all the way in the west! Sounds absolutely exquisite and worth forgoing the usual cake and custard decadence this holiday usually affords. xo
ReplyDelete