What can I say besides, "I'm in HEAVEN!"
Wine. Beautiful, big, New World, red WINE!
Hello, Barossa, where have you been all my life?
Of course you may recognize mainstream names like Penfolds and Jacob's Creek...with wine ranging from the overproduced cheapies to limited production high-ends, but what about the small, unknown vineyards?
Ryan and I had an absolutely gorgeous time with Russ and Janett visiting wineries, and tasting the vast range of delectible reds (yes, and whites!), across the Barossa Valley. Between clouds and sun, and fabulous Maggie Beers (THE BEST pheasant pate and fresh aged cheddar...gorgeous picnic!), we enjoyed some of the finest New World Reds in the world!
Jacob's Creek. In the USA, we get one or two types of their relatively mediocre wines. If you seek, you may find one of their special bottles. Alternatively, in Australia, lovely Jacob's Creek varieties abound! I feel so fortunate to have tried the Jacob's Creek Limited Release 2005 Shiraz (only for sale at vineyard shop...and absolutely gorgeous!!), and Jacob's Creek Johann Shiraz/Cabernet 2004...truly delectable...Brick-red color, with HUGE red fruit, a bit of mint (?), eucalyptus (perhaps?), and definite cassis. A twist of peppermill...oh yes! (Named in honour of Johann Gramp, the pioneering winemaker of Orlando Wines!) To me, it's the perfect combo of rich round fruit flavors (that's the Shiraz!) with solid tannin structure and length (that's Cabernet Sauvignon!). G'day harmony! G'day balance! (We are in Australia, after all!)
Needless to say, I never thought Jacob's Creek made such elegant, fabulous wines!
We also visited smallie, gorgeous boutique vineyards...some are hit, some are miss! JENKE....HIT! Ok, ok, it took a minute to warm up to them...but when we tasted the reds..hello!...gorgeous reds. Our favorite quickly became the the "1926 (age of the vine) Vineyard Shiraz". It was SPECIAL. Rich. Dense. Dark fruits, pepper, tobacco, earth, chocolate, even! Finish lasts and lasts. It will be lovely not just now, but for years to come. hope to taste it again, someday (Russ, save a bottle!!!!)
I can't believe how much I have learned during the past month. South Australia- I love your wine!
Of course you may recognize mainstream names like Penfolds and Jacob's Creek...with wine ranging from the overproduced cheapies to limited production high-ends, but what about the small, unknown vineyards?
Ryan and I had an absolutely gorgeous time with Russ and Janett visiting wineries, and tasting the vast range of delectible reds (yes, and whites!), across the Barossa Valley. Between clouds and sun, and fabulous Maggie Beers (THE BEST pheasant pate and fresh aged cheddar...gorgeous picnic!), we enjoyed some of the finest New World Reds in the world!
Jacob's Creek. In the USA, we get one or two types of their relatively mediocre wines. If you seek, you may find one of their special bottles. Alternatively, in Australia, lovely Jacob's Creek varieties abound! I feel so fortunate to have tried the Jacob's Creek Limited Release 2005 Shiraz (only for sale at vineyard shop...and absolutely gorgeous!!), and Jacob's Creek Johann Shiraz/Cabernet 2004...truly delectable...Brick-red color, with HUGE red fruit, a bit of mint (?), eucalyptus (perhaps?), and definite cassis. A twist of peppermill...oh yes! (Named in honour of Johann Gramp, the pioneering winemaker of Orlando Wines!) To me, it's the perfect combo of rich round fruit flavors (that's the Shiraz!) with solid tannin structure and length (that's Cabernet Sauvignon!). G'day harmony! G'day balance! (We are in Australia, after all!)
Needless to say, I never thought Jacob's Creek made such elegant, fabulous wines!
We also visited smallie, gorgeous boutique vineyards...some are hit, some are miss! JENKE....HIT! Ok, ok, it took a minute to warm up to them...but when we tasted the reds..hello!...gorgeous reds. Our favorite quickly became the the "1926 (age of the vine) Vineyard Shiraz". It was SPECIAL. Rich. Dense. Dark fruits, pepper, tobacco, earth, chocolate, even! Finish lasts and lasts. It will be lovely not just now, but for years to come. hope to taste it again, someday (Russ, save a bottle!!!!)
I can't believe how much I have learned during the past month. South Australia- I love your wine!
Photos:
~Jenke Cellar
~Jenke Vines, late autumn in Barossa Valley

Sounds divine!
ReplyDelete