Sunday, 28 September 2014

Hone your Nose: the Key to Increasing Wine-tasting Satisfaction



When wine-tasting, I often get asked, "How do you get THAT scent from this wine?  I just smell WINE."  It's a good question.

Did you know that human nose can identify over 2000 aromas?  Compare that to our ability to detect just 5 tastes in our mouths.  The best way to increase your wine-tasting satisfaction is to pay attention and think about the aromas you encounter during your day!  As you begin to focus more on utilizing your sense of smell, relate your aroma encounters when you taste wines.

This is a great tip from the recent Wine-tasting 101 program featuring one of the more mainstream wine writers I occasionally read is Natalie Maclean.  You can read/watch the video here, if you want to learn more.

The other tip I really like, that I learned a long time ago and still use is the wine body test.  An easy way to start paying more attention and relating wine body is to compare it to the consistency of milk; it is light/thin like skim consistency?  Or is it medium-bodied like 2% or semi-skimmed?  Or is it thick like Vitamin D milk ... full-bodied?

Enjoy your autumn wine-tasting experiences, and remember to use that nose!

(Photo from 2013 blog ... Merlot Fireside)


No comments:

Post a Comment