Tonight I was so ready for some alone time. I had been around people soooo much, that even I, a self-proclaimed extrovert, needed a break! Decided it was time for a walk on the beach and some fine dining seulement (alone).
Some people freak out at the idea of dining by oneself, but after a week with barely no waking time alone, I welcomed such an occasion. A melding of multi-layered woman and multi-layered meal...makes for an incredible evening of self-discovery (sounds dramatic, I realize, but what do you expect from me!).
A visit to Osteria del Teatro (in South Beach - highly recommended by friends) was just what the doctor ordered. They had about 15 specials, plus the regular menu. My only complaint was the lack of by-the-glass (BTG) wine choices; yet I understand that single diners are certainly the minority at this authentic, intimate restaurant.
I was drawn to the seafood menu items, and with no light-bod red wines on the BTG list, my (ONLY!!) choices were chardonnay or pinot grigio. Taking a "when in Rome" perspective on the situation, I ordered the pinot grigio from the Veneto region, Italy. With a swirl and sniff, I quickly forgot the limited selections on the menu, and concentrated on the pleasantly light and crisp wine in front of me. It had a bit of spice/zing! - fresh pear/apple/even lime! Very respectable, really!
Some people freak out at the idea of dining by oneself, but after a week with barely no waking time alone, I welcomed such an occasion. A melding of multi-layered woman and multi-layered meal...makes for an incredible evening of self-discovery (sounds dramatic, I realize, but what do you expect from me!).
A visit to Osteria del Teatro (in South Beach - highly recommended by friends) was just what the doctor ordered. They had about 15 specials, plus the regular menu. My only complaint was the lack of by-the-glass (BTG) wine choices; yet I understand that single diners are certainly the minority at this authentic, intimate restaurant.
I was drawn to the seafood menu items, and with no light-bod red wines on the BTG list, my (ONLY!!) choices were chardonnay or pinot grigio. Taking a "when in Rome" perspective on the situation, I ordered the pinot grigio from the Veneto region, Italy. With a swirl and sniff, I quickly forgot the limited selections on the menu, and concentrated on the pleasantly light and crisp wine in front of me. It had a bit of spice/zing! - fresh pear/apple/even lime! Very respectable, really!
The best way to describe it is LIGHT, but with SUBSTANCE; light in color, body, and fruit. Also, dry! (thank goodness). Great with food (hence it's place on this menu). A perfect pair to my appetizer of jumbo shrimp stuffed and baked with goat cheese and herbs, and my entree of tuna cooked rare, with rosemary, lemon, and shitake mushrooms.
The congenial owner popped by a few times to check on me. I asked him, "How many times each night is your food described as amazing?" Seriously...I myself used this term, and heard it at least twice from nearby tables! He, and all other employees were attentive, helpful, and full of personality.
When I told my waiter there was no way I could fit any dessert, he brought my check, alongside a hearty "taste" (i.e. small plate-full) of the house-made tiramasu. How could I resist, and offend them?!! Absolutely to.die.for. Let's just say there wasn't a morsel remaining when I got up to leave.
A rich experience I won't soon forget.
(Written 5.5.10)

This is my favorite post so far. Many people will be able to identify with your need for "self discovery through solo time", myself especially!! What a tasteful (haha-pun intended) example of how to complement the richness in flavor with that in personality.
ReplyDelete