I've been wanted to make some Thanksgiving recommendations...I hope you don't mind.
Tonight I was dying to open a bottle I've been saving for a year and a half...a pinot noir. I wanted to see what it's become since my birthday, 2009, when I last tasted it; AND I have been contemplating how nice it might be with Thanksgiving dinner!
We are super-impressed after re-tasting the 2007 Chaddsford, PA (LOCAL!) Pinot Noir.
Of course, many folks will be enjoying whites and roses on turkey day...and I will open one of them too. BUT... by now, everyone knows I am partial to Cabs and Pinots! This is the perfect season for a pretty pinot noir!
Refer to some of my prior blogs (SWEET CHEEKS, NZ PINOT) for some great ideas...be adventurous! Focus on light-medium bodied varieties. Ask your liquor store expert, or email/call me anytime.
Of course, many folks will be enjoying whites and roses on turkey day...and I will open one of them too. BUT... by now, everyone knows I am partial to Cabs and Pinots! This is the perfect season for a pretty pinot noir!
Refer to some of my prior blogs (SWEET CHEEKS, NZ PINOT) for some great ideas...be adventurous! Focus on light-medium bodied varieties. Ask your liquor store expert, or email/call me anytime.
So anyway, Chaddsford Winery proves that Pennsylvania pinots can compete! This wine rocks!
Cherries. Cranberries. Earth. Roses. Earth. Earth. Earth! This is why I LOVE pinots. It will work sooo nicely with roast turkey, as it won't over power. It will also go especially well with chestnut/mushroom stuffing. (I saw a great recipe in Wegmans magazine, although I will be sticking with a very traditional stuffing this year!)
Tonight, to test it out, I had it with simple grilled salmon, long-grain herbed rice, and broccoli. It complemented the heartiness of the fish quite well.
I know you are thinking, "That's nice, Tare, but I am a purist who prefers a white wine with my poultry. I say, "Go for it!" Try an UN-OAKED Chardonnay, Voigner, or Washington State or Alsace semi-dry (sec) Riesling, for a nice match.
Call or email for specific recommendations. Just yesterday, I got an email asking for a nice Thanksgiving Sauvignon Blanc idea. I am happy (and look forward to) offering advice.
Joyeux Thanksgiving, loved ones! And yes, we will kick off Thanksgiving festivities with a Champagne (or Oregon Sparkling- stay tuned for details!!!) toast!
Written: November 21, 2010

Can you recommend something to go with a dessert course, specifically white chocolate and blackberry creme brulee? Hope your birthday wine is better than you remember!!
ReplyDeleteMICHELLE! xoxoxo
ReplyDeleteFirst off, the 07 Cab Franc was definitely better than I remembered! So enjoyable!
Creme brulee (ARE YOU MAKING THIS??!!-sounds grand!):
I am thinking you have a few choices here...
1. Champagne or sparkling wine (perhaps Oregon or Washington!). But not anything mentioning Brut(the dryest). Go with something sweet-semi sweet (doux or demi-sec).
2. A Muscadet or Sauternes (which is a blend with Muscadet and Sauv Blanc). I had a bottle of St. Supery Muscadet a few weeks ago- on Chairman's Selection in PA. Sweet and would be fab with creme brulee.
3. I have heard that Madeira (from Portuguese island) is good with this type of dessert. I haven't really tried it, so if you are feeling adventurous, go for it! Again, they range from dry to sweet, so look for doce (sweet) or demi-doce.
Let me know how it goes!
Love,
T
You're brilliant!! I think that I will try something from your option 2. We both have off tomorrow, so if you get a call from me in the middle of the day, it means we're in distress and need more help with our selection.
ReplyDeleteThis is a new creme brulee recipe for me and will be part of the Thanksgiving Dessert Extravaganza. I'm creating it myself based on others I've tried, so I'm crossing my fingers that my experiment is un succes!!
MISS YOU TONS!!!! Let's chat soon!
xoxo, M
Call if you need anything. I'm working, but prioritize wine advice for my best friend. lol. Sending decadent vibes your way...ROCK the brulee! hehee!
ReplyDelete